Monday, December 3, 2012

Writing and Reading


I did finish Stephen King's On Writing book, and one of several things I took away is that in order to continue to grow, I need to keep writing and reading. Since I began writing in earnest, I've noticed that how I read has changed as well. I still read for pleasure, but I also make mental notes to myself about writing techniques, what works and what doesn't.

I've found myself taking note of moments that get an emotional rise out of me, or other things such as where the plot may falter or lose believability. Descriptions, dialogue, point of view, it's all on my mind in a totally new way.

One thing that popped into my mind recently was an idea to start a writer's book club. At the beginning of the month, a book will be chosen, and at the end of the month, we can post our thoughts on it. I don't want to do other blogger's books because I don't want anything to turn negative, but maybe the classic's or current best-sellers. I'll have to mull over what book to read first, and I'll start out by myself, but if you're interested just leave a comment.

I'll just let everyone know in advance too that next month, in January, I will be having major surgery on the 9th to hopefully improve some ongoing health problems. That may change the timeline for me a bit but I'm still stoked on the idea.

Hope you all have a great week and feel free to comment on what you're working on!

17 comments:

  1. Good luck with your surgery - I hope all goes well! I like your book club idea, but as I'm usually swamped with books as it is, I doubt I'd be able to take any more on. It is a fantastic idea, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I appreciate it, and totally understand. I usually have 2 or 3 going myself!

      Delete
  2. Hope the surgery goes well. I have King's book but haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- and I think you'll enjoy his perspective.

      Delete
  3. Surgery??? Rose that doesn't sound good! You'll keep us updated???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope the surgery goes well and fixes what you need. I like the book club idea I would participate when I can and enjoy reading others' comments if I can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- I hope so too.
      That'll be fun if you can- I know time's precious when you've got little ones running around.

      Delete
  5. I listend to Stephen King's On Writing on audio. I think it's great. Also, I think sometimes I have to forget about all the "rules" I've learned when I begin reading. If I don't, I find myself dissecting instead of enjoying the story. I think it's better to dissect afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I don't want to have to worry about fitting the perfect formula, but I guess that's where the second draft comes in. Those revisions are where I get the "bugs" out.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great idea!

    The best to you with your surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read King's book, and it is a motivator. The part where he explains how he got into writing made me view him in a different light, as well. My friend loaned me the book, then gave it to me, as she said I was writing more than she. (nice friend)

    I'm not much for book clubs, but I'll stop by to see what being discussed and join in the discussion. I read a lot of classics. (Just finished The Picture of Dorian Gray, and review is on Rainforest Writing site, and finishing F.S. Fitzgerald's Tender is the Night.

    I think it's a good idea you've got, as writers love discussing books, anyway. Good luck with the surgery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- it wouldn't be the first idea I had that crashed and burned, but I read all the time anyway and I thought it'd be fun to share the experience. It'll give me something to blog about.

      Delete
  8. I hope everything goes smoothly with your surgery. I have a trail run scheduled on the 9th so I'll be thinking of you. The writer's book club sounds like a good idea. Now when I read, I always do it with a mechanical pencil for taking notes in the margins. Though I do wish I was a faster reader. Keep us posted on your club and most of all on how your post-surgery recovery is going. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you really? (About the taking notes?- I think that's a great idea!) I may just do that with the book I read. And thanks for your thoughts :)

      Delete
  9. Surgery? Hope it's nothing too serious, Rose? I will definitely keep you in my thoughts & prayers...

    Before I started out on my writing journey, I "devoured" books... simply for pleasure/entertainment.
    Now all that has changed. I now read with a "writer's eye", though I try not too... so I get what you are saying.
    On the flip side, I'm more open to reading across different genres, whereas, before I started writing seriously, I only read my preferred genre which is thriller/suspense types of stories...

    The book club thinggie sounds like a great way in which to get more reading done. Not sure if I'd have the time...
    I also like Elise's "note-taking idea"... never thought of that...

    ReplyDelete