Monday, August 13, 2012

Reading from the Library

As I've posted previously, when I can't figure out what to read, I go to the beginning shelves of my library and grab a book.

For my bad reviews, I don't post the title, out of respect for other writers' efforts. I know all too well how much effort goes into them, but I still can have an opinion, and that I will post.

I grabbed a 500 page book by a male author, and had gotten about 100 pages into it when I stopped. The writing was actually pretty good, and if it weren't for the overall topic, I might have kept reading. Those 100 pages were 75% mindless rants of a drunken, incoherent character with the other 25% being flashbacks into the most depressing environment imaginable. I felt as if continuing to read would leave me in either a depression or madness, neither of which is a convenient state of mind to be in when I have to function as a productive person in society. I can take dark, I just can't take dark and rambling.

Next, I skipped to an author I had heard about, Mary Higgins Clark, and checked out her book, All Around the Town. Since my novel is heading into the suspense/thriller category, I figured I better start reading my genre. The results?
I couldn't put her book down. It was, as they say, such good writing that I didn't even feel like I was reading. One thing I noticed with this particular book is that she jumped around a lot with POV, but I didn't mind at all. It was the plot that kept you moving forward, but the characters were mostly believable and interesting. Mostly- because I had a little trouble with the multiple personality disorder portrayal.

I'm still chipping away at another revision on my WIP (AArgh- will I never finish?) but I also popped out part of a short story, so I'm still a little bit productive.

By the way, I'm on goodreads under the name Rose Munevar. I don't know if anyone else is on that as well so we can connect. I do list mostly all the titles I read there, plus I'd love to see what you're reading!

11 comments:

  1. I think we did connect - I'm under there as me.
    There are some books I just can't get into. If I don't like it and I don't finish, I don't review it. I wouldn't want to say something really bad about a fellow author. Good on you for not using his name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think that's really good policy as a writer. The last thing you want to do is tick off your peers and have them write a bad review on your book, if and when it's published!

      Delete
  2. I love Mary Higgins Clark!!! She is my writing hero (or heroine, I guess I should say). I also love listening to her audio books on long car rides. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the first book I've read by her and it definitely won't be my last! I'm hooked.

      Delete
  3. I've read quite a few of Mary Higgins Clark's books. It's been awhile since I've picked up anything of hers. I'll have to remedy that. I am on good reads. I'm still fairly new on it and I can't say I know how to fully utilize it but I'll send you a friend request.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I tried looking you up but couldn't find you. I'm new to it too, and it was actually your post that clued me in to it :)

      Delete
  4. I think you're handling it in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to find you on Goodreads, but couldn't. Not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird. I don't know exactly how the goodreads works- I'm still on the learning curve. I'll try to find you.

      Delete
  6. I haven't read Mary Higgins Clark. Ever. Weird, I know.

    And about revising...I'm sure you've heard this but it's too good not to repeat. Writing is 1% writing and 99% revising. You're not alone. At all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be reading more from her for sure. But that was my first book too.
      I'm getting the revising thing done too :)

      Delete