Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Cookie's story

While my blog is mostly about writing, it's also about my life, and a huge part of that involves animals.  Any kind of animal.  Almost two years ago I started volunteering at the local animal shelter, and since then I have acquired two more dogs and a cat, which is the most recent addition.  They have some strange issues and I've often thought if only they could talk, just for a day, and tell me their stories. 
For example, our first dog that we adopted, Lilly, is terrified of balloons and large balls.  She was very anxious when we first brought her home but has adjusted nicely, with the exception of those things.  Then there is Cookie.  Yesterday I brought her into the vet and ran into one of the members of the board of the humane society.  She knew Cookie and told me that the woman who owned her was moving, and just dumped her off at the shelter without looking back.  Cookie is old, maybe about ten, and she has a bad leg but it doesn't seem to bother her.  She is absolutely the sweetest dog, but has so many health issues from years of neglect.  She's 100% deaf from severe ear infections, she's covered with moles that were raw and bleeding when I first took her home, her teeth were rotting and falling out, and I suspect her tail was broken, plus the bad leg.  Despite all that, her tail wags non-stop (even while peeing!), and she spends most of her days sleeping on the doggy bed.
All I can say is Why?  Why would you get a dog when you have no intention of caring for it?  No one is forced to own a dog- it's a choice, just as it's a choice to mistreat them, abuse them, or leave them neglected in the back yard.  They are pack animals who need attention and affection.  It's just sad.  Some day maybe I'll write a novel involving dogs:)

11 comments:

  1. There are so many animal lovers out there :D As far as writing goes, I'd definitely play the animal card if you know a lot about them. A great way to gain sympathy and use that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I'll just have to let that idea simmer for a while 'til I can figure out where to go with that angle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mankind is seldom very kind. You're one of the good ones. I pray that Cookie improves with care and love. You have a lovely blog, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, I wish more people would get pets from the shelter instead of breeders. I got my cat there and she's the sweetest little thing ever!
    I agree, I hate it when people get pets and then don't take care of them and just abandon them. I know some people (by "know" I mean people I know know them haha) who had pets and just abandoned them at parks or whatever when they got tired of them. It's horrible! I don't know how people can be so mean to animals :( Sure it's a responsibility, but you know that going in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roland Y.- Thanks for the compliment and for joining my blog! Cookie has improved greatly. She's on a special diet now and her ears have improved, although she'll always be deaf. My sister paid to have moles and rotting teeth removed, so I know she's more comfortable. Plus, she's loved! Maybe that's the best part.

    Writing Hour- I so agree with you, and unfortunately the dumping of pets happens all the time around where I live. Even puppies or kittens because it's not common practice to have your pet fixed here in the South and the animals roam loose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a dog too and absolutely adore her. Sometimes I hear dogs crying on their balconies all day and night. I hear horror stories of them being chained there when their owners go on vacation and accidentally hanging themselves from trying to escape. Anyhoo ... Nice to meet you, Honey. Thanks for dropping by my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's too sad, isn't it? When I hear those stories about abused animals I go over and give my furry babies a little cuddle. I can't save them all, but my pets will live happy and loved to the end. Some humans can't even be "humane" to other humans, let alone animals. Thank you for joining my blog- nice to meet you too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so sad the way people treat animals. If you're going to adopt an animal you should at least make sure that, if you don't want it anymore, it's somewhere safe and not sick and totally abandoned.

    I'm glad Cookie has a good home now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. It's the responsible, humane thing to do. I find it hard to understand how people are capable of harming an innocent, dependent animal. But if people are capable of atrocities against their own, it only stands to reason they would do it to an animal. Cookie is a happy ending, fortunately.

      Delete
  9. That's so terrible the way some people neglect their pets like that. They are living creatures, beautiful creatures. This post makes me want to go hug my cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, all my furry creatures get a little extra cuddle when I see or hear something sad!

      Delete